Hebridean Handcrafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For crafters world wide.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Milk Glass Effect

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eaglefeather
Eaglefeather

Milk Glass Effect Empty
PostSubject: Milk Glass Effect   Milk Glass Effect EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:51 pm

There is a type of bone china that is semi opaque and is often referred to as "Milk Glass." Some of this china also has images painted on and it gives a kind of ghostly look. This same effect can be achieved with a graphics program such as Paintshop Pro (PSP) or Photoshop. It a rather simple proceedure in PSP but I am not sure how it is achieved in Photoshop. The following is a photo of a Kelti named Radar. The photo was taken at the lake.

Milk Glass Effect Dogs0010

The following is the same photo that has been given the Milk Glass effect:

Milk Glass Effect Radar10

As you can see this gives a really nice effect to an image. Photos of flowers also come out really nice with this effect.

The method to achieve this in PSP is:

1. Open the image you want to give the effect to in PSP;

2. Goto the main menu and choose Layers/Merge/Merge All Flatten.

3. Goto the main menu and choose Layers/Duplicate.

4. Open the Layers Palette

5. Right click on "Copy of Background."

6. Left click on Properties from the drop down menu.

7. For Blend Mode choose, "Darken."

8. Click "OK."

9. Goto Main menu and choose Image/Blur/Gausain Blur. Set the Radius to 8.00 or 9.00.

10. Click "OK."

That's it.

These instructions are for PSP Version 6. They are basically the same for versions 7 through 10.

Although I have Photoshop, I am just not familiar with it so cannot give you a tut to do this with that program. I suspect the same basic method would be employed. If you a familiar with Photoshop then the above instructions for PSP may be enough for you to figure out the method. If you do, I for one would like to know how it is done.

The easiest way to learn a program like PSP or Photoshop is to use a tutorial. I wrote a number of tuts for PSP ver 6 and posted them to my PSP site, Click Here (The site has not been updated in many years because there are very few if any version 6 users still around, except me of course. clown )

Please Note: As of April 30, 2012, my PSP site will be taken down by the new owners of Fortune City, so if you wish to see the site you must visit before that date.
Back to top Go down

Milk Glass Effect
Page 1 of 1